Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The art of not eating

Okay so for some crazy reason I got in my head it would be a good thing to do a cleanse. I fiddled around on the internet for a while and decided I wanted to do something called the MasterCleanse.

Im not going to be fancy and hook you to a link but if your interested google it there is billions of stuff about it. In a nutshell you purge your body of toxins by not eating anything thats right nothing. You 'get' to drink a combination of fresh squeezed lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup, cayanne pepper and water. Then every night you do a "saltwater flush" Where you basically within a short amount of time as possible drink 1 liter of water with 1 TBS sea salt in it. Which then causes you to "purge" your body of whatever is in it.

The cleanse is supposed to be for 10 days and up to 40..but I had decided I wanted to do no more than a week. Today is day 5, of not eating anything except my wonderful lemonaide and im not really sure why I decided to do this in the first place. I *may* try at a later time to do the full 10 days but we will see. I have decided that tomorrow is my last day and on day 7 will start eating again.

Day 1, 2 were kinda hard, Day 3 pretty easy day 4 was hard again and today was pretty easy. I think it is the hardest because I have to make food for other people. So its not like I can isolate myself and not see or smell food. I think what I DONT like about this diet is it is a flush.. So after you drink your most delicious salt water you have about 2 hours of stomach pains and in and out of the bathroom. Its not fun. So i keep thinking there has got to be a better way. I am thinking about trying some other detox plans I guess there is one where you just eat raw fruits and veggies....i think i would like that one MUCH better...but im not sure what it does on the "cleansing" or flushing out your system side.. because the trick with this one is you are eating nothing so the hope is everything that comes out of your colon is not from something you ate recently..

Anyway, day 5 is winding down and i think im looking foward to tomrrow being my last day...

5 comments:

EBKB said...

Bluch you are nutty...last night on TV there was a rerun of "The office" where a character is doing the exact diet you're doing. She was all sweaty and wan and passing out and stuff. Not that I'm suggesting a fictional TV show is as good as anecdotal evidence on the internet.

brookelmt said...

I've been there, done that. The Master Cleanse is probably the hardest cleanse out there (way to choose that one). When I did it, so did all my roommates (it was at the house on Hollywood) and for some reason on days 2 & 3 when you are at the smelliest, the house smelled like a stale ashtray that someone poured bong water into.

The raw fruit and veggie cleanse is a good one. You just have to make sure you are using organic produce since part of the point is to clean out pesticides, etc. There is usually also a capsule that you take with it for a colon cleanse (the contents of the capsule "flush" your colon as opposed to the salt water flush)

runbarbirun said...

No sweaty or passing out..i acutally feel pretty good other than the fact that i just miss eating. I like to eat.

I guess im not as happy with the purge part..its too much of a commitement and you would think that there is a way to get it done faster. If so would love to hear.

Brooke when u did it did u do the full 10 days.?

I guess I expected more from the flush ..not to be gross but like weird colors or worms or something....but alas...no worms.. I guess that is a good thing too.

brookelmt said...

I can't believe you were hoping for worms. Worms are definitely a bad thing. I did the 10 days back in the Joe & Basil days. It was easier that everyone in the house was doing it but it was still hard. I too like to eat. When I did it, I'm pretty sure I only did the purge twice. Once after 3 days and again the day before we were done. I took those days off work as did the rest of us. There were 5 of us and only 1 bathroom - yeah!

Unknown said...

The salt water drinking sounds just like what the dr.prescribes prior to a colonoscopy. However, the treatment lasts for a 1/2 day and you are to a point where you are passing water. Fun...have to do it this year. They recommend it every 5 years after age 50. As far as Master Cleansing - a concern is that your electrolite balance is out of kilter. That can be dangerous so be careful.