Saturday, February 7, 2009

family n friends

So, I have long been an advocate of having good relationships with my family and friends but I have come to appreciate it more this week. I have been "recovering" this week and I have had many calls from my family and friends to check in on me and see how im doing. My most wonderful friend April has called me several times to see if I need anything and even fed my family one night this week.

My husband and many husbands I know, seem to think that they dont need "friends" and that they are fine without them. I think this is a bunch of crap.

I think it has to do with the maintenance of having relationships with people and the fact that to have a friend you have to be a friend and your relationship has to be cultivated. You have to call them to chat and god forbid, share your feelings, and check in on them and just BE there for them. Im not sure why the man gene has problems with any of this... im not saying ALL men because there are some out there that enjoy this but I would say more than 50% have this relationship issue. Maybe its the communication piece...and that men just dont enjoy sharing their feelings..or maybe their friendship is different and I just dont understand it..

But for whatever it is worth...thank you to all my family and my friends..i hope you know I love you dearly!

2 comments:

brookelmt said...

Thanks! Love and miss you and I'd bring you dinner but it would be gross by the time it arrived. I agree that not enough men value the importance of friendships. I wish my husband had more close friends to hang with and escape life with.

Unknown said...

I totally agree that men are missing out on some important emotional support. Friends can be great group therapy. I appreciate you making efforts to keep your family and friends close. Our lives are much richer because of the people in our lives.