Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am yellow...

I recently went on a business trip to San Francisco where my business group did this personality profile. It is based on Meyers Briggs but is easier to remember because you are classified basically into 4 different color types: Red, Yellow, Green & Blue.

I am dumbing it down a bit because it is more complicated than that because it does take into account stuff like are you an introvert vs extrovert and you actually get a combo color which shows your preferences in each area.

The four colors are basically: Yellow= Involve me, Green= show me you care, Blue= Give me Details, Red= Be bright, be breif, Be gone.

Basically when it comes down to it I am predominantly Yellow with a less degree of Green, then a bit of blue and almost no red. So, in these things they always like to say " no personality type is better than others" But basically Yellows are kinda flighty people who just like to socialize and make sure everyone feels okay about everything..

Pretty much EVERYONE in my work group is blue which means they just like facts and information... no wonder I am sitting in meetings wondering why I am so bored by their data. The most interesting thing is that pretty much everyone is my OPPOSITE type... which means they want to ask me alot of weird placed direct questions and then go away and think about them.

Unfortunately that is not the way I like to do business in my brain... it leaves me feeling like I have done something wrong and wondering why they have gone away instead of talking about why they are asking me these questions, and how their day is, and what are they doing this weekend, and how there kids are and about anything except what they want to know which is data.

I guess if nothing else I know now that my colleagues and I communicate in totally different ways. What I dont like about it though is that I work with REALLY REALLY smart people and even though no colors are better than others...Yellows seem kinda Like the dumb blonde....that kinda sucks.

2 comments:

EBKB said...

That seems like a weird characterization of you...I have never ever thought of you as a dumb blonde type or anything remotely like it. Weird. I think those "personality type" tests can sometimes be just way too vague, although this one sounds pretty comprehensive. I would never come out as a person who is into facts and data either, I am so hopelessly right-brained (or wait, is it left brained? I am too dumb to remember which is which) that I can't do anything with numbers and data at all.

brookelmt said...

Yeah, I don't see you as a dumb blonde either. I have just always assumed that both of you are smarter than me. I don't really like those personality things because it feels like "they" are just trying to shove us all into a square, round, oval, or whatever hole and maybe you are an isocelese triangle instead.