Saturday, September 20, 2008

Traveling

So I have to leave on Monday to go on a business trip to Atlanta, last week I was in San Francisco.  That makes me sound very adult and responsible.   Its not really that way at all. 

 I think I have San Francisco pretty down now,  but I have to confess that I have traveling anxiety or maybe it is just unfamiliar territory anxiety.   I  definitely am not one of these "go with the flow" type people who can just "wing it".   

When I first started to going to San Francisco I would have stress about it.  Basically I would have to be very prepared and print about a zillion maps ( and look at them a zillion times)then, review where I buy my Bart ticket, which Bart train I get on,  and which station I have to get off. I would say I  had Bart stress for a while, but I think Im okay with it now..just as long as my routine doesn't change.  

Monday I go to Atlanta where I have never been AND I think is like one of the biggest airports in the country (yeah).    Luckily, I can take a taxi to the hotel but I always stress about dumb things ...like what if I only have a credit card and the taxi only takes cash and what if I cant find the taxi's(very stupid I know), what if the taxi driver doesnt know where my hotel is....   

Then I overanalyze what im going to wear.  I am there for basically 2 nights 3 days but I end up trying on a bunch of outfits and wondering if I will be over or under dressed.  

I am going to this conference that my boss is sending me to on "customer feedback week"   So y it is all these seminars from other companies where they are talking about how they use client feedback and survey data to improve their business.  The interesting thing is I am wondering who these people at the conference think I am.... a couple of days ago I got a email from one of the meeting organizers inviting me to a "special" luncheon on one of the days with some of the meeting organizers to give feedback and stuff.    THEN I got a phone call that one of the meeting organizers wanted to meet with me 1:1.... I guess I can go and be whoever I want to be... Im the only one from my company that is going so I can be as important as I want to be...

Anyway I am going to try to be a bit more adventurous and explore more while I am there.   While in SF I always end up going back to my room and watching bad TV.... but my brother is going to go out to dinner with me and show me some sights...the first night.    I always go running when traveling because I love to see the city in that way... lots of different things to look at.   But im usually stressed with the time change and dont want to be late or miss any meetings or events because i think Im afraid ill get into trouble.... can you get into trouble at a conference...i dont know.  


3 comments:

brookelmt said...

Pack for heat and humidity and freezing cold air conditioned (read refrigerated) conference rooms and buildings. Ask the concierge at your hotel where to run since Hotlanta does have it seedy underbelly. Have fun! Go to the Aquarium if you can. It's the biggest in the nation or something like that and yes, Atlanta is the biggest airport in North America. It's pretty amazing.

EBKB said...

I am sort of jealous of you that you get to jet-set around, though I would probably handle the stress of it a lot worse than you do. I have a tendency to obsess over the absolute dumbest stuff in these situations.

I'm glad you get to see Brady.

runbarbirun said...

It seems like jetsetting but it really is not. It is going to very unfamiliar places, feeling out of place, going to boring conferences ALL BY MYSELF. It would be much more fun if Eddy were coming..so i could actually enjoy my $300 a night room